Mario Soerensen Garcia
Mario is the founder and managing partner of the firm. His practice involves virtually all aspects of intellectual property law, with a particular focus on trademark, copyright and patent litigation; due diligence investigations; strategic trademark and patent portfolio analysis; management; enforcement; licensing; and client counseling.
Mario regularly writes and lectures on a variety of intellectual property topics at various international programs and conferences. He has chaired and continues to speak on panels for the International Trademark Association (INTA), Pharmaceutical Trademark Group (PTMG), Interamerican Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI), Associação Brasileira da Propriedade Intelectual (ABPI), and other bar and industry groups. In 2009, Mario was appointed to the International Trademark Association Board of Directors as well as the Executive Committee.
- University of the State of Rio de Janeiro, 1985
- Brazilian Bar Association in the States of Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo Portuguese Bar Association
- Ranked as leader in the field of Intellectual Property Law by Managing Intellectual Property years since 2008
- Ranked as leader in the field of Intellectual Property Law by Chambers and Partners Latin America since 2010
- Elected to the Boards of Directors of both major Brazilian Intellectual Property Associations – ABPI (2010) and ABAPI (2010)
- Appointed Chair of the 2011 INTA-ASIPI Joint Conference, September 2009
- Selected for “Who’s Who Legal: Trademarks in Brazil,” Law Business Research, since 2009
- Winner, Informa WORLDLeaders International IP Awards, Excellence in Patent Practice / Litigation Latin America, 2009
- Commended by Informa WORLDLeaders International IP Awards, Excellence in Trademark Practice / Litigation Latin • America, 2008.
- Named as one of Brazil’s outstanding trademark lawyers by Who’s Who Legal
- Winner* of Informa WORLDLeaders Award for 2009 Excellence in Latin America Patent Practice/Litigation, December 2009 *Soerensen Garcia Advogados Associados Patent Practice—Head of Patent Practice
- Named Outstanding INTA Volunteer, profiled in INTA Bulletin “Member Spotlight” (Vol. 64, No. 5, March 2009)
Select Publications and Engagements
- Member of the Nominations Committee, 2014-2015
- Member of the Leadership Development Committee, 2014-2015
- Co-Chair of INTA Annual Meeting 2015 in San Diego 2014-2015
- Speaker, “Ambush Marketing” at INTA leadership meeting, 2011.
- Speaker, “Naming rights” at Brazilian Association of Intellectual Property (ABPI), 2011.
- Speaker at GRUR (Berlin) “Trademarks in Social Media”, 2011.
- Speaker, “IP at the Brics and Brazil” PTMG, 2011
- “The Politics of Patent Protection,” Life Science IP Review, World Intellectual Property Review, May 2009, (co-author with Patricia Rizel and Barbara Dias). Presentation.
- “Brazil’s Economy and Intellectual Property Law,” INTA Annual Meeting, May 2009.
- “Brazil Gets Set for World Sports,” BRIC Supplement “Suggestive Marks and Poor Decisions” Brazilian Association of Intellectual Property (ABPI), Jul/Aug. 2008.
- Speaker, “In House and Outside Counsel, Working Together,” INTA Leadership Meeting, 2008.
- Boehringer Ingelheim Group vs. EMS S.A., (Trade dress).
- Allergan Inc. vs. Klein Becker USA LLC., (Comparative advertising).
- SuperClubs vs. Hotelaria Brasil Ltda., (Punitive damages).
- Nestlé Group vs. Veneza Express Ind. e Com. de Alimentos Ltda., (Trade dress).
- Nestlé Brasil Ltda. and Société des Produits Nestlé S.A. vs. CW Indústria e Comércio de Gelo e Bebidas Ltda. Me (Trademark infringement).
- Nestlé Brasil Ltda. vs. Cooperativa Central dos Produtores Rurais de Minas Gerais Ltda. (Trade dress, counterfeit, and unfair competition).