Otavio Saraiva Padilha Velasco
Otávio’s practice focuses on domestic and international contract negotiations, strategic alliances, and other commercial dealings involving clients’ intellectual property assets. He regularly drafts and negotiates technology transfer agreements, license agreements, and distribution and agency agreements and litigates disputes that arise from such arrangements. He manages intellectual property due diligence efforts in connection with clients’ mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures. Otávio specializes in the establishment and management of trademark enforcement and anti-counterfeiting programs. He also represents clients on matters of unfair competition, franchising, consumer rights, and corporate law before courts in Brazil.
- New YorkUniversity- School of Continuing Professional Studies – International Intellectual Property – 2010.
- Specialization in Contracts under the Provisions of the New Civil Code – UERJ (2004).
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro – PUC-Rio (2002).
- Specialization in Strategies of Marketing – FGV/RJ (2000).
- Registered in the State of Riode Janeiro at the Brazilian Bar Association.
- WTR 1000 in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
- Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars Handbook 2015, 2016 and 2017.
- Professional experience at Kilpatrick Stockton LLP,United States, 2010.
- Invited Member of the “Knowledge, Information, Press and Rights Observatory do Rio´s International Journal (ISSN 1982-6443) on Sciences of Industrial and Systems Engineering and Management” (2008).
- Professional experience at the Legal Department of Companhia Força e Luz Cataguazes e Leopoldina (2001).
- Professional Experience at the Legal Department of the Federation of Rio de Janeiro´s Industries – FIRJAN (2000).
Publications and Presentations
- Co-Author of “UW-Google Intermediary Liability Research Projetc – Privacy”. The Online Intermediary Liability Research Projetc, University of Washington, March, 2016.
- Speaker at the International Trademark Association (INTA) Leadership Meeting, Panamá, November, 2015.
- Speaker at the Intellectual Property Fall Meeting of the New York Bar Association., October 2013.
- Author of the Brazilian Chapter on the book International Advertising Law, organized by Paul Jordan.
- Author of article published at the “O Globo”, March 31, 2011 – “Limpeza Verde”.
- Author of article published at the New York State Bar Association – Winter 2010 – “The Legal Framework for Trademark Licensing Agreements in Brazil”.
- Author, “Brazil: Decision Improves Ability to Recover Domain Names” INTA Bulletin, January 15, 2010.
- Article published at “Jornal do Commércio”, November 2008 – “Trade dress e legislação marcária – Remando para o mesmo lado ou em direções opostas?”.
Recent Representative Cases
- Yelp, Inc. vs Linutech = Trademark and domain name infringement. Lawsuit to enforce Yelp´s trademark rights and to recover the domain name yelp.com.br
- Linkedin Corporation vs. R & C Informática Ltda = Trademark and domain name infringement. This case involved the recovery of the domain name linkedin.com.br to its rightful owner.
- Dell Computer Corp. (presently Dell Inc.) and Dell Computadores do Brasil Ltda vs. Rafael Gomes Garcia Me. (Trademark Infringement, Trademark Conflict and Domain Name)
- Nestlé Brasil Ltda. vs. Veneza Express: Trademark and trade-dress infringement.
- Borgo San Felice Pousada e Restaurante Ltda. vs. Vale Florido Restaurante Ltda., Reference trademark and unfair competition case.